Skip to main content

the year in clears #02: BBB game 1 - iconoclasts

[archived from a cohost post, originally made on january 10, 2024]

when all you have is a wrench, everything starts to look like a bolt. which, if you live in the setting of iconoclasts, is sensible, apart from the bit where having a wrench without a license makes you a criminal.


I've been craving a decent metroidvania and this has been sitting in my backlog for, oh, [checks calendar] nearly five years now so I figured I'd get around to it as part of BBB...

and yeah! it's a good game! really good spritework, pretty solid mechanically, though I'm more of a momentum-based platformer fan so the lack of real momentum tech made me feel like I was always moving slightly slower than I wanted... when I wasn't riding a juiced up wrench across a zipline, which always felt too fast for me to reasonably react to. the tools were fun, and figuring out how to deal with enemies was mostly fun (aside from a couple I just learned to run past lol)

it didn't outstay its welcome, its character writing was excellent (agent black is the best), and also fuck ash. all of the other bosses were fun, though some of the checkpointing was unkind (this is my rocket. was embedded in my brain after losing several times in the final two phases of a boss....). will probably clean up all the collectibles before I put this one away for the foreseeable future.

if someone pays me $500 or something I'll stream me bashing my head against challenge mode but unless and until there's money on the line I'll refrain from doing the one-hit death shit, thanks. some of those later platforming bits are rough, let alone the bosses