Skip to main content

the year in clears #05: BBB game 4 - outer wilds (no spoilers)

[archived from a cohost post, originally made on january 29, 2024]

it's always a bit unfortunate to feel like you're not in tune with people. sometimes the universe hums a melody at you and everyone else seems to join in instinctively but you just feel like you missed the memo and end up left out.


for me, outer wilds never really clicked. it took me three... four? attempts to play the game for the motivation to actually kick in and get me to a point where learning about the world would eventually lead to the game's ending, instead of simply flickering out. there's a level of intrinsic interest that entirely escaped me, and I couldn't tell you what was causing that disconnect.

it brought me moments of joy, but where others got hit like a truck by the music, it didn't do much for me. sans spoilers, while the ending was good, it didn't radically alter my opinion of the game, that being "some part of my taste just doesn't work here. I understand that there are bits of this that are going to hit different for some people but this really doesn't do anything for me."

I'm glad I played it. I am glad I played it through to the end. it's an interesting little game, but I feel like it's definitely not For Me. just not in the same key as most folks, I guess.