Skip to main content

the year in clears #06: BBB game 5 - anodyne 2: return to dust

[archived from a cohost post, originally made on january 30, 2024]

hot on the heels of outer wilds, another game where I really just didn't vibe with basically the entire creative product, unfortunately


despite owing melos han-tani a sizable karmic debt1, I haven't really clicked well with any of analgesic's games so far. I got through even the ocean in one sitting because the mechanics gave me enough joy to zoom through all the levels even while I wasn't really getting a whole lot out of the game's smaller emotional beats. I bounced off anodyne 1 because of my disinterest in both the mechanics and the writing, and while this was slightly alleviated with anodyne 2, I still didn't really gel with the tone of... just about everything. world, plot, incidental dialogue... just a whole lot of words that I ended up glossing over hard.

mechanically the game was unobtrusive and unremarkable for the first half, and then the back half dropped two pseudo-open-world levels in the way and they were both just kinda slogs that slowed my roll really hard... though I can't complain too much because six hours is really brisk, lmao


  1. it turns out I can directly cite a tweet of melos' about the end of Dead Genre Chronicles as the reason I met one of my current partners, specifically the one who was the cause of all the things that led to my polycule/harem. lmao. thanks doll