Skip to main content

the year in clears #11: BBB game 8 - super lesbian animal rpg

[archived from a cohost post, originally made on april 28, 2024]

this game struck me, a way too online not-quite-a-furry trans lesbian, as something that would either be very good or make me cringe out of my skin because the writing was Just Slightly Off

I liked it. that could really be the whole post lol


there's a scene fairly early on where the main character, melody, talks about the name she chose when she transitioned. she talks about choosing "melody" because it's the centerpiece of a piece of music and she was hoping that by calling herself that she could embody some of that energy and become a more interesting person. felt kind of called out by that scene because of how many goddamn times I've argued with my gfs about whether I have protagonist energy. (I don't, but they disagree)

anyway this game is full of extremely funny and stupid jokes that range from goofs about game design (seeing a tent, thinking you can walk up to it and interact with or enter it, and then realizing it's just a sprite, before your party leader comments "WHO PAINTED A TENT ON THE GROUND?" was the first real joke of the game and it really fucking sent me) to good sitcom-esque jokes... to the long, stupid burn to the plot point of "the big bad is sitting at the peak of mount sappho" which made me laugh my ass off

it still fits some good serious character development in around the comedy and the rpg elements are pretty sturdy (though I fucking hate being made to pick a specialization for the protagonist's class as part of the intro to the game when I have absolutely no context for the systems, the class, the team comp, or the character) but really this is just a funny game, primarily. if you're not put off by furries and queers (idk why you're here if either of those bother you but like. y'know. stranger things have happened) it's not a bad 10 hours to spend $15 on. full val approval